1. Dear Guest, if you are not receiving a forgot pw email then use the contact form at the bottom of the page. Bare in mind this is not monitored 24/7. Join our discord for help with account issues/queries. Join our discord: by clicking HERE.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Guest, some forum sections are hidden for you. Register for FREE for unlimited access.
    Dismiss Notice

New Computer Build

Discussion in 'Technology Discussion' started by ayylmao, Jul 8, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JfN

JfN Well-Known Member

That's a nice mobo. Get them ripjaws son like I told u!!!!!!!

2. ayylmao

ayylmao Banned

Maximum capacity of RAM is 32gb on that board but it's only duel channel ( 2 x 16 needed) and those aren't available on amazon pretty sure.

I need to find 2x8GB sticks of DDR4 ram which has amazon prime available, can you find any? I can't find any at all except HyperX Fury

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMK32GX4M4A2400C14-Vengeance-2400Mhz-Performance/dp/B00OTJZNI2/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1436552208&sr=8-16&keywords=ddr4

I found this, only £110 though (but that's 2x8gb 2400mhz)

3. JfN

JfN Well-Known Member

Yea I was just looking on the G.Skill website and noticed their higher end ripjaws only come in quad channel kits (after seeing that your mobo has a dual channel). I'll do a comparison on Dom Plat duals and Ripjaws 4 duals then look on amazon, hold on.

4. ayylmao

ayylmao Banned

http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Skill-Ripjaws-DDR4-DIMM-288-pin/dp/B00S5NQ45Y/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1436552463&sr=8-32&keywords=G+Skill+ripjaws+16gb+ddr4

Some stuff that's on amazon doesn't actually show whether it's sold by Amazon unless you click on it, as it only shows it if Amazon is the cheapest price, or something like that

Ordered these now as only 1 were left in stock, still update me if the corsair is better n i might get them

5. JfN

JfN Well-Known Member

Update: Looks like none of the dom plats deliver dual channel DDR4 kits.

On the other hand here's a list of G.Skill Ripjaw 4 kits that are dual channel 16GB (2x8);
    http://www.gskill.com/en/finder?cat=31&prop_2=16GB+%288GBx2%29&prop_3=0&series=2275&prop_14=DDR4&prop_6=Dual+Channel+Kit

The 2400 is obviously the fastest;
    http://www.gskill.com/en/finder?cat=31&prop_3=2400MHz&series=2275&prop_14=DDR4&prop_2=16GB+%288GBx2%29&prop_6=Dual+Channel+Kit
    [hr]
    Edit: you linked the 2133 which will also be pretty good as well.

6. ayylmao

ayylmao Banned

Sickk :)

I'll buy motherboard in like 3 days as need refund to come through first, so currently have:

600W power supply
    the Mini-itx case
    keyboard/mouse
    Monitor (dual 1080p 24")
    all fans needed

Going to make new build on pcpartpicker
    [hr]
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/CQMQsY

It's pretty much the same price as the previous build I had in mind @Jfn

7. JfN

JfN Well-Known Member

Should look at Coolermaster to see if you can get a better liquid cooler for less. Dunno much about the one you've got on there now but Coolermaster are a very reputable company, so really it's on price I think. I'll look more into it for you in a second.

And in terms of RAM, you've went up from a 1866MHz DDR3 to a 2133MHz DDR4 which will have a pretty great impact on speed, and DDR4's are designed run on a lower voltage as well so it'll;

1. Be better on your electric bill.
    2. Not heat up your RAM/PSU as much - which also enhances longevity in both (how long they'll last, basically).
    3. Overall have a faster data transfer rate.
    Gonna go do a comparison on your liquid cooler now.

8. ayylmao

ayylmao Banned

I'm not looking price-wise so don't worry about that, the cheapest electric bill would be nice if you could consider that.

The PSU is only Bronze rated so might upgrade that, any opinions or suggestions on that?

9. Lana

Lana Forum Owner -

Looks nice buddy

10. JfN

JfN Well-Known Member

Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler
    While looking around I found this, which apparently beats them both - and is air cooled instead of liquid cooled: http://www.phanteks.com/ph-tc14pe.html

It actually looks pretty dope, looking at the specifications and reviews. Very aesthetically pleasing as well, and you can have it as any colour. I also like how it has two fans, never seen this before. They are also very silent fans.

One thing about this that strikes my interest is the fact that it has some technology that apparently 'deflects' the warm air from other hardware.

Reviews: http://www.overclock.net/products/phanteks-ph-tc14pe-bk/reviews

You should probably do a lot of comparison checking before making a decision. Also, one thing to bear in mind is that this is a MASSIVE cooler, so unless you are 100% sure it'll fit - read below instead.

Coolermaster Nepton 240M vs Corsair H100i
    http://eu.coolermaster.com/uk/thermal/cpu-liquid-cooler/nepton-240m/ is a lot quieter, but if you absolutely don't care about noise then you should probably get the Corsair.

Basically, the Coolermaster is much quieter and the Corsair is a little bit cooler - weigh out the difference yourself based on preference.

Reference: http://www.pctekindia.com/Reviews/AIO4.aspx

As a side-note the Corsair does have an incredibly useful cooling control utility. One that I'd never personally use, though.

11. ayylmao

ayylmao Banned

Those look dope as hell dude, but yeah don't know if it would fit in the case, I was also considering the NOCTUA D-15 as I know they make great fans.

I definitely prefer the Cooler Master one as it looks a lot more tidy having a radiator , and also I'll be moving the case around so want something more stable than a heavy air cooler on the CPU :p

Those look dope as hell dude, but yeah don't know if it would fit in the case, I was also considering the NOCTUA D-15 as I know they make great fans.

I definitely prefer the Cooler Master one as it looks a lot more tidy having a radiator , and also I'll be moving the case around so want something more stable than a heavy air cooler on the CPU :p

I won't be using stock fans that come with the CPU coolers too, I have Corsair SP120 fans which are made for blowing air through radiator vents, does this change much of your opinion?

With me saying that, do you now prefer the Corsair or still the Coolermaster watercooler?

Linus has a video that says that the Cooler master is better if you have low RPM fans with high static pressure, so that is pretty much perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65-aR4o8iT4

P.S @Jfn apparently the Cooler master's tubing is very long compared to other H100i, which is pretty bad when I am building a Mini-ITX build
    [hr]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Added pictures showing how there is barely any room, if you can judge anything off this I don't know XD

12. Katie

Katie Real Slim Klatie M.D. Banned

I have no idea what is going on lmao

13. JfN

JfN Well-Known Member

Yea, judging by your case you'd have a lot of trouble fitting that in. Especially with high profile RAM cards.

You'll have to check the sizes to make sure they fit, but I'm pretty sure both the Coolermasters and Corsairs support extra fans.

Personally I'm interested in that Phanteks air cooler now - never heard of them before but that fan does look amazing. Couldn't really say if I'd prefer it over anything else yet though (I'd have to look into it more, etc). My case is a Coolermaster HAF 922, which is one of their smaller cases optimised for cooling on gaming systems (all their cases are either for gaming or server builds) so that'd fit pretty perfectly in there. BUT before I answer this question follow me up on this:

Haven't checked the video yet but if he provides benchmarks please post them and I'd be able to tell you a lot more on what you should do.

To me that would just mean more cold-air circulation around the rest of the system (so I'd take that as a good thing), but if it's more of a size problem then you could be a bit stuck, yea.

I have the biggest fucking hands in the world, throw a DVD case in there or something.
    [hr]
    Am I nerding it out too much for you right now? hehe, it's rare this side of me comes out in front of other people.

14. Katie

You've just taken me beyond confused, I wish I knew this stuff tbh

15. JfN

JfN Well-Known Member

Learn it! Computers are like bits of lego put together - they're easy to build :p.

16. Katie

Where could I learn?

17. JfN

JfN Well-Known Member

Dunno suppose I could show you on cam or some shit ;l message me on Skype I'll show you how easy it is.

18. Veng

Veng Member

600 watts for that rig wont be enough i dont think :/

19. ayylmao

ayylmao Banned

Most people say that it's more than enough for a 980 even though the wattage shown on amazon is 600W, I'll be upgrading it to a more silent power supply and scrapping this other one, I want the quietest build possible

20. ayylmao

ayylmao Banned

@JfN so which cooler would you go with after this stuff?

I am considering going with Corsair still as the case, power supply, and all internal fans (Corsair AF120 & Corsair SP120 fans) excluding the front 200mm fan, are all Corsair branded so thinking I will go with the H100i.

Also, the fact that the cooler master tubing is longer is a downside considering that the case I'm using is already small

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]